Saturday, March 19, 2011

Judge Not?

JUDGE NOT?
Far too often, I hear the phrase “don’t judge me.” It’s time to set aside self-righteous ideologies and begin looking deep within human nature to see reality and forget foolish sheep-monitoring dogma. I would like to set straight the reasons that judgment is not only natural, but it is also necessary.

“Don’t judge me” is the miscreant’s mantra that is based in Christian theology. This is ironic, as Christians tend to be most judgemental people on the planet. They judge everyone and everything that they’re unfamiliar with or are afraid of. They judge homosexuals, pro-choice voters, Muslims, Jews, Democrats, Wal-mart, soldiers who die for the Christian’s right to bitch about those soldiers, Ozzy Osbourne, purple Tele-tubbies, you name it. Then they easily pass the buck to their God, saying it’s he who judges these people.

The fact is, judgment is indeed natural. We all do it on a daily basis. I recently attended a children’s sporting event to watch and support my daughters. There was a man attending who was stumbling drunk (this is on a Sunday afternoon). I quickly judged him as a disgusting, pathetic waste of life and was certain to keep my kids away from him. This is one simple example of a judgment. A judgment is nothing more than forming your own opinion of a person. These judgments are necessary to protect ourselves, our loved ones and our way of life.

I judge the man who cuts me off in traffic as an irresponsible asshole. I judge the customer who complains about my prices as cheap white-trash (or black-trash) who’s looking for a handout, rather than appreciating quality work. I judge the man on the radio who sings with a southern twang as a dumb, inbred, NASCAR-watching sister-fucker. That may seem a harsh judgment, but what do I care? My judgments are my own and are to preserve my way of life.

And I know that many people judge me on a daily basis as well. I seem to be quite talented at offending someone new each day on Facebook, usually some religious fanatic. They judge me to be an arrogant, blasphemous, hell-bound asshole. Oh my, how will I sleep at night? Most likely, I’ve already judge them as ignorant, unsophisticated morons.
We all judge, and it is important to do so. We even appoint people to judge our criminals for us, and we call them JUDGES! Without judgment, murderers would roam free, talent shows would have no victors, and fat chicks would be employed at Hooters.

If you are one to complain about people judging you, then ask yourself why? Why do you care? If something that they said about you really bothers you that much then you obviously see the same defect in yourself that they see and are sensitive about it. Perhaps you should try to fix it rather than fighting via words from ancient books. My favorites are the popular “Only God Can Judge Me” tattoos, usually very popular with incarcerated criminals who have, quite apparently, already been judged. Talk about delusional.

Jesus said, “Judge not, lest ye be judged.” I say we let these words rot with his flaccid corpse. Judge great, judge often, and judge harshly. Don’t forget to judge yourself, to be the best version of yourself that you can be. But continue judging those around you to maintain your ultimate lifestyle and to protect yourself. Don’t fool yourself. Every time you walk outside of the safety of your own abode, the world is judging you.

No comments:

Post a Comment